Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Honoring The Elders

Transparent Watercolor 14" x 20"
I was asked about this painting in an email so I thought I'd share it on my blog. This is our twin Lily. I made this headdress for her because we think it's important for our kids to learn about their heritage, so this is a first step in learning about the Pomo traditions.
The moment she put it on, she took on a grace that reminded me of the traditional dancers at the roundhouse at Kule Loklo, Point Reyes National Seashore. She even stood the way they do before going in to dance. I had my camera so she could see what she looked like but I think I captured something more and hopefully I've conveyed it through this painting.
This was also the first time I'd done any bead work in about 8 years. I really enjoyed it and intend to do it more often.

8 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Lone Beader® said...

Yes!! More beadwork! One thing I love about beadwork, is that every culture has developed a distinct beading style. We can learn about people all over the world through beads:)

RH Carpenter said...

What a beautiful painting. And how wonderful that it's of your daughter, Lily.

Sandy Maudlin said...

Just beautiful!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

twins :D how wonderful.
Beautiful and great drawing!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

BTW I tagged you on my blog. Check it out ;)

Beyla Medina said...

Hola Pablo!!!
Primero que nada felicitarte por tu pintura, los rostros me gustan muchisimo.
Despues darte las gracias por la traduccion que le hiciste a Jane Freeman.
Saludos
Beyla
Caracas-Venezuela
www.acuarelistas.com.ve/artistas/Medina/Beyla.htm

Michelle said...

What a beautiful painting. You're very talented.